I was in my car casually gazing out waiting for the signal to turn green. I noticed this man at some distance on a motorcycle. He was muttering something to himself rather angrily. As I let my gaze wander, at the others waiting at the signal something struck me. There was hardly a relaxed face around; everyone seemed to be carrying an invisible load with a frown on their faces.
Is this how our lives were supposed pan out? Despite the tremendous economic progress, the numerous conveniences and materialistic pleasures, what has wiped the smile off our faces?
The hurried pace of life and its complexities have probably got the better of us. And this is exactly why we need it more than ever before.
You smile when you are happy, but do you know it works the other way round too. Smile & you could be happy. That’s how simple and yet powerful it is. In fact according to one study those who smile often tend to live 7 years longer. It releases stress, helping the body relax and also strengthens the immune system. How’s that for something that’s absolutely free! No expensive gym memberships, no vitamins and no effort at all.
The important aspect is to train oneself to smile more often.
These simple steps could actually help you do that:
• Let it be the first thing you do as soon as you wake up – A wide smile to brighten up your day.
• Then close your eyes and tell yourself “ I will smile more often today.”
• Try to stop being lost in your thoughts as you commute, look at kids, flowers, trees and smile. Nod in the hallway as you run in to people & smile at them.
• Make an effort to think happy thoughts and smile.
• Create your own milestones through the day to remind yourself to smile; when it’s a coffee break, each time you pick up the phone, sit in your car or talk to a colleague.
It indeed is as simple as this: and of course life transforming. Start Now – Happy Smiling